CHAPTER TWO of THE TALKING MACHINE, AN ILLUSTRATED COMPENDIUM 1877-1929, covers the period 1894-1898. This was an important time in the development of commercially-viable talking machines. The earlier designs were abandoned or improved as the fledgling companies struggled to establish themselves. Among others, the story of the Berliner Company is told and illustrated in detail.
The "Echophone" was a clever talking machine developed by engineer and mechanic Edward Amet. The sound from the grooves of the cylinder record was transmitted down a hollow glass rod and into a small "resonating chamber", where it was released into the ear-tubes shown. In the mid-1890s, Amet made quite an impact with his talking machine inventions, but fell afoul of court battles which sapped his finances. Courtesy George F. Paul.
The "Polyphone" attachment was one of the newest gimmicks in talking machines as the 20th Century dawned. It could be adapted to either a Columbia Graphophone (Type "AT" shown) or an Edison Phonograph. There were two reproducing heads playing the same groove almost simultaneously - closely enough to be heard together. With two reproducers and two horns, the sound was louder - but the mechanics difficult to adjust. Courtesy George F. Paul.
Click here to continue to
CHAPTER FOUR WITH MORE COLOR PHOTOS.
Click here to return to PHONOPHAN main screen.