CHAPTER FOUR of THE TALKING MACHINE, AN ILLUSTRATED COMPENDIUM, 1877-1929, covers the years 1904-1908. During this period the talking machine reached its stride, and many of the machines we find most frequently on the market were produced. Illustrated in abundance are the Edisons, Columbias and Victors a collector often sees. As well, there is ample space devoted to Zonophone, the Chicago odd-spindle companies, European machines and other unusual items.
The "Biophone" was a German-made, British-sold machine which fell into the general category of "Puck phonographs". Pucks were simple, inexpensive talking machines usually mounted on a trivet (lyre-shaped) base. In this slightly up-graded model, the tiny motor is hidden by an elegant metal case, leaving enough open space to slip on and play a cylinder record.
One of the last of Columbia's external-horn disc talking machines was the "60H". It had been designed and sold as the "BII" starting in 1909. By the mid-teens it had acquired a motor right out of a Grafonola internal-horn cabinet model. With a wooden horn, it sold for $60.00.
Click here to continue to
CHAPTER SIX WITH MORE COLOR PHOTOS.
Click here to return to PHONOPHAN